Friday, July 5, 2013

Grilled chicken with zucchini & peppers


When buying chicken straight from the person who raised it, you most likely aren't going to get a lot of choices. There is no creature that grows four boneless skinless breasts or thighs.  This packaging abstracts us from the source of our food: an animal, and to a certain extent babies our cooking skills. My chicken options are: half or whole and it comes frozen. I usually opt for halves because the defrosting is much faster.  At first making the transition to dealing with bones and skin totally threw me. I was pampered by packaged meats.  Through experimentation and research I have learned how to quarter a chicken and also spatchcock which removes the backbone. One cannot be squeamish when performing these tasks and it makes me face my food. There is no abstraction, I am eating a creature. I think that's good. I think everyone should face the reality of their diet if they chose to eat meat.

This chicken was marinaded with garlic, hoisin, and toasted sesame oil and grilled on aluminum foil.  I made greens in little aluminum foil packets and mixed some sautéed fava beans with garlic scapes into some quinoa for fun.  Fava beans and scapes being a new food for us.  Great meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment