Thursday, July 31, 2014

Morning at the farm

When my mothers friend invited us to visit her garden I expected to visit a garden, what we visited was a farm! Blueberry bushes and raspberry bushes hanging heavy with fruit.  Cucumbers and zucchini just begging to be picked.  Fire wood stacked here.  Saplings growing there.  Sunflowers on thick stalks ready to burst.  It was magical and heaven for any wanna be Gardener like me.

But that's not the best part!  I was told that we were going to let my little guys "feed the fish."  I will admit right now my suburbanites mind pictured a coy pond in the corner of a manicured yard and my son sprinkling in some store bought fish food. Oh no, that was far from the experience we had! The pond was big and had a tiny dock with old wagon wheels on one end.  First we had to dig. Why did we dig? To get worms of course!  With some wigglers in the bucket down to the pond we went and I was skeptical.  Shame on me! Those fish came to gobble each worm dropped in such a frenzy it was thrilling! What a good time we had.  Sorry worms, but as I was told "that's life on the farm!"

In the afternoon we played at the beach and then I made dinner of pork tenderloin and all those veggies gifted to us- summer squash and zucchini and green beans, plus beet greens and lettuce in a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment